How to Use Fondant:
I’ve always loved using fondant. Not only is it super fun to use and decorate with, but also quite simple, and it ALWAYS will look amazing! Here are my tips on how to use it:
1) Buy pre-made fondant from a cake or baking store (the brand I use right now is Wilton, but I’m sure any brand would be fine) and bundle it into little balls about the size of a golf ball
2) Roll the ball out flat so that it is about half a centimeter thick.
3) Once it is rolled out, pick it up carefully, and place it on top of the cupcake
4) Cut around the edge of the cupcake, taking away any excess fondant and now you are done!
If you want to add color to the fondant:
1) Stop everything you are doing once you have rolled the balls of fondant
2) Add about half a drop of food coloring to the ball
3) Spread the food coloring out by squeezing the fondant with your hands and fingers until it is solidly the color that you want
4) If you want it darker, just add more food coloring of course – always start out with a smaller amount of food coloring than you need because once it’s in, you can’t do anything about it, sorry!
Decorating after the layer of fondant:
With the extra fondant you have after covering the tops of each cupcake, you can decorate more on top of the fondant layer. I am not the complete expert at fondant decorating, but my box has some pretty cute ideas with very straightforward instructions as to how to decorate.
This is the fondant brand I use at home...
|Photography by the Cupcake Around the Corner|